Suicide Awareness Walk

Suicide Awareness Walk

Jeremiah Warnimont, Contributor

NEWFIELD, NY. On Saturday 9/17, the varsity teams of Newfield High School walked at Cass Park Ithaca to raise suicide awareness as part of the Out of The Darkness walk. Players walked as part of team Max. Max was a suicide victim last thanksgiving and a former student athlete at the High School.

Players along with a couple hundred other people walked the waterfront trail at Cass Park from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in honor of Max and other victims. “Max was beast on and off the court, he was one of my biggest role models as a Trojan,”  said Devin Cooper. Cooper graduated from Newfield in 2015 and currently attends Keuka College where he plays basketball for the team.  

Players responded well to the walk and really connected with the cause. Many of the players knew Max and looked up to him as a mentor so not only was the walk for a good cause but also carried personal weight.

Max’s mother Melissa, who is known to the students as Mrs. Addy, is a staff  member of the Newfield Elementary.

Suicide is a rising cause of death in the U.S. Events like these are motivated to inspire and support youth which, in test, have proven to decrease the rate of suicide.

According to the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention, 40,000 Americans die a year from suicide and it’s the second leading cause of death in the U.S. between ages 10- 24. On average, as polled by the ASFP, every 12.95 minutes an American dies by suicide.

Students throughout the high school and the community looked up to Max as he was a role model to the underclassmen. “I think his caring attitude is and was the quality that stood out most to me,” said Stephen Labarge, a current sophomore at Newfield High School. “Max was just a quality guy.”

The walk was attended by roughly 200 or more people to raise awareness. The weather wasn’t perfect by any means but the walk was worth it. Movements like these continue to decrease suicide rates and are becoming more and more popular among awareness groups.