Newfield School Board Takes Away Varsity Athletes P.E. Waivers

Sarah Sexton, Contributor

Before the beginning of the school year, Newfield Central High School sent out letters to all high school students saying that they had banned all varsity athletes’ physical education waivers. In the past, varsity athletes and National Honor Society members were allowed to waive physical education to have an extra study hall or a free period.

Rhianna Mosher, a varsity soccer player at Newfield, said, “I think only seniors should be allowed to have physical education waivers because there are enough people in P.E. and the seniors could have a CCR lab when they need so they don’t have a full schedule.” Casey Bledsoe, another varsity athlete, said, “I need a CCR lab because after school I do have a sport so I don’t have time to do homework. In P.E. it is mainly the athletes doing all of the work instead of the other non-athletes in P.E. when they need it more. We have to write a midterm for P.E. and I don’t have time for it. I have three other papers I have to write, I don’t understand why I have to write about P.E. when I know my fitness because I’m in three other sports already.” Erick McSwain, a senior non-athlete, said, “I would love it if seniors were allowed to have waivers.”

Coach Kotaska said, “I am against having P.E. waivers and I’m glad I have my athletes back in class. It brings up the level of the class.” P.E. waivers were around for a long time before this year. Newfield took them away saying that the physical education class sizes are getting to small so they need more people.