Newfield Choir and Band Head to Virginia Beach

Back to Article
Back to Article

Friday, May 13th through Sunday, May 15th the Newfield High School Choir and Band headed to Virginia Beach.

Both groups competed against over 20 other schools in the Music in The Parks festival. It’s a festival in which high school students are being put in front of judges. The choir and band have been in preparation for this event since early January.

The Newfield High School choir composed of over 60 students, prepared two pieces to perform to select adjudicators. The choir has been working with vigor to prepare for the competition.When asked why Marissa Fargnoli-Peterson, a senior, and who will be preforming a solo in competition stated that “It’s always great to have a goal to encourage groups to work together. When there is a goal, people tend to work harder and better together.” When referring to the trip that the choir took last year Fargnoli-Peterson said, “we really pushed ourselves last year and we had an amazing outcome.”

The Newfield High School band also assembled two pieces to perform. There has been a mass amount of hard work and effort in the band room.

Senior, Rhianna Mosher, of the high school band stated that the trip “[is] a really good learning experience and it puts our school out there.”

When it came time to announce the winners of each category, the groups waited in anticipation. In the end, both the band and choir came out of the competition with a first place trophy, each with a rating of excellent.

In two years when the Newfield band and choir head to Virginia Beach again, they hope to beat this years rating and aim for a rating of superior.