NHSPress

Stockholm Truck Attack

Mark Westberry, Contributor

Just before 3 p.m. on Friday, a man named Akilov drove a beer truck into a group of individuals who were walking on a busy shopping street before running into a department store in Stockholm, Sweden. The truck the individual used was stolen minutes before the attack, and had undetonated bombs inside the truck. These bombs did not go off during the attack. Police and law enforcement believe this incident was an act of terrorism.

During this incident, four innocent individuals lost their lives and 15 people were injured.The nationalities of the four individuals that had lost their lives were identified after the incident occurred. Two of the victims were Swedish, one of them were British, and the last victim was Belgian.  

The hearing for this act of terrorism occurred in the Swedish capital of Stockholm on Tuesday. According to CNN, Akilov wore “green clothes [which were] supplied by the detention center” during his hearing. He was asked by the president of the court to remove the item of clothing that was covering his face. At this hearing, Akilov admitted to carrying out this terrorist crime.

Since his hearing, Akilov has shown some sympathy for many terrorists groups including ISIS.

According to CNN, Akilov is “a 39-year-old man from central Asian nation of Uzbekistan, [and] was known to intelligence services before he was arrested on Friday.” He applied for residency in Sweden but was rejected.

After this incident, Sweden increased their security. This increase brought in an additional 100 police officers into Stockholm from across the country. This attack comes after many similar attacks that occurred in Europe. According to CNN, one of these attacks included “a man [ramming] his car into a crowd in London near Parliament in March, killing five people.” Law enforcement is working around the clock to get to the bottom of why this attack occurred.

About the Writer
Mark Westberry, Contributor
My name is Mark and I enjoy playing baseball. I have a three-year-old little sister that I love to hang out with after work.