Anti-Cancer?

Logan King, Contributor

From the very first vaccine on May 14, 1796, we have been saving ourselves from nasty diseases and horrible infections. The very first vaccine was given to prevent cowpox blisters. After being a success, scientists and doctors began research to find more essential vaccines to prevent things like chicken pox, smallpox, shingles and plenty of others. One of the largest growing dilemmas in the world today is cancer. Cancer is abnormal cell growth in a major body part, such as the brain, the skin and pretty much anything else important to survive.

Imagine if we found a vaccine that could be given to everyone that would prevent cancer? We could create a vaccine that prohibits cancer cell production. It would work just like the other vaccines that prevent smallpox and chickenpox. This could be life changing for the twelve to thirteen million people each year who find out that they have cancer. This vaccine could be possible because the body will have already seen a weakened form of it, and can acknowledge it faster and obliterate it before it spreads too far to contain. The body will have antibodies to fight against any substance that could potentially cause cancer. According to cancer.net, the vaccine will; “Prevent the cancer from coming back. Destroy any cancer cells still in the body after other treatment. Stop a tumor from growing or spreading.”

This could work because we have found vaccines for many different viruses and infections already. With enough scientists working together to test these hypotheses and tests, we will eventually have a vaccine used to prevent and cure cancer in the next decade. Creating this vaccine will change millions of people’s lives right when it gets produced and for the future.