NHSPress

Listen to the Music

Destani Ketter, contributor

Music has become a huge part of our society; we listen to music in the car, on the bus, in movies and on tv shows. We even listen to music as we start and end our day. Some use music as an escape from a bad day; others listen to music as a way to express themselves when words fail. Some listen to music to simply enjoy the tempo of the beat that’s playing. Music is an umbrella that has so many different and unique genres underneath it, and no matter who you are there is always something out there that will catch your ear.With music being a huge part of our lives, we try to incorporate it where ever we tend to be; one of those times is when we try to study or do homework.  

Some people say that listening to music while studying for a test isn’t helpful, and makes it harder for a person to remember the material. Others say that by listening to music it helps them stay focused and even motivates them to complete the homework or studying. Personally I feel that it all depends on the person and what it is they are listening to will affect whether or not they will be able to complete their homework or remember the material for the test.

For me, it depends on the mood I’m in that dictates the genre of music I’ll listen to while I do homework. Most days it’s either hip hop or rap music, but when there is an important exam coming up I go for some acoustic or dubstep to get me ready and focused on the studying. Another thing I feel that is important to think about is the volume of the music, which will also affect a person’s ability to do the studying as well. If the volume is too loud this will overwhelm them and distract them from what they are trying to do.

Some schools will not allow kids to use their cell phone unless it’s for educational purposes, which makes sense; most will likely misuse their cell phones but I believe that schools should also allow kids to use their cell phones to listen to music.

About the Writer
Destani Ketter, Contributor
My name is Destani and it’s pronounced the way it’s normally spelled. I plan on becoming a history teacher one day. I’m an animal person more than a human person.