3 Reasons Why Chance the Rapper is the Best at What He Does

Patrick Banfield, Contributor

Not that the new young indie rapper needs any validation from a high school student, but some folks don’t see music as I do and a different perspective is nice sometimes. And don’t take it from just me, even past president Barack Obama, and artists like Eddie Vedder, and Kanye West have all shared their praise for Chancelor Bennett. Nevertheless, I’m here to tell you three reasons on why Chance is the best in the rap game.

Chance the Rapper is a hometown activist. After Chance the Rapper criticized Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner’s fiscal approach to the very troubled Chicago public schools, Chance put his money where his mouth is and pledged one million dollars from his upcoming summer tour to the Chicago public school system. He also urged and requested that other celebrities and government officials in the city to do likewise. This isn’t the first time Chance has done a heroic thing such as this. In previous years he launched a #SaveChicago campaign to help fight and raise awareness of gun violence in the murder-plagued city. And to top it off, Chance threw a benefit concert last year to provide jackets and sleeping bags to Chicago’s homeless.

Chance the Rapper’s music is a different kind of rap, and for that, he’s shaking up the music business. “Coloring Book,” Chance’s most known mixtape from last year was classified as an album by Billboard, even though it isn’t an album, it’s a mixtape. It earned the distinction of being the first to enter the Top 10 based only on streaming numbers in Billboard history. Chance has yet to call any of his music an ‘album.’ He does this because he has yet to sign with a record company. This is very unheard of for an artist at his level, and it makes his music feel even more special.

Chance also has the most live sets. At last summer’s Rock the Garden festival in Minneapolis, Chance and his pristine band did a superb job, with positive vibes and good music. He smiled literally the entire show, and so did a good majority of the crowd. His TV appearances on “Saturday Night Live” and the Grammy Awards are on another level compared to his competitors. He provides a true performance with live music and no pre-recording.

Chance the Rapper is an all around good artist with no flaws. The rapper can’t be touched in the rap game and he’s a good person as well. Because of the previously listed reasons, Chance the Rapper will forever be the best at what he does.