The Consequences of Bullying

Michaela Teeter, Contributor

Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year. Are you one of them? Many people get bullied on a day-to-day basis. There are many consequences that have to do with bullying. Bullying is seen more in middle and high school age groups but can also occur outside of school or as an adult.

People and kids who experience bullying are more prone to depression and anxiety. Most kids that get bullied seem to decrease in performances in school work and after school activities. The consequences of bullying can range anywhere from feeling like an outsider all the way to someone committing suicide. Kids who experience bullying often are seem to have physical, school, and mental health issues. Some of the most common psychological symptoms of children who are bullied experience loneliness, sadness, depression, anxiety, aggression, low-self-esteem, self-harming behavior, and alcohol and drug abuse. “Bullied victims are 7 to 9 percent more likely to consider suicide,” according to a study by Yale University.

Not only are there psychological effects of bullying, there are also physical effects of bullying. Some of the most common physical symptoms of bullying can be changes in sleep and eating patterns, and loss of interest in certain activities, dizziness, headaches, weight changes, and muscle pain. Bullying not only has an impact on people, but it can have an impact on schools. When bullying continues and a school does not take action the entire school can be negatively affected. Not only does it impact student learning, it also impacts the staff. Bullying in a school environment can lead to students disliking the school, physical fights, students feeling insecure, students being lonely, and students experiencing difficulty learning.

There are many consequences to bullying, and about 3.2 million students are victims of bullying. There are psychological effects of bullying and physical effects of bullying. Many people experience depression and anxiety. For example, Sophia said, “Bullying abuses mentally and physically. It will ruin the victim’s life like for the children it will affect their education and ruin their self-esteem.”

Bullying is never a good thing, and no one should experience the feeling of sadness because they are getting picked on.