Stress and How to Manage it

Xander Sawyer, Contributor

Whether it’s good stress or bad stress, everybody has to deal with it at some point in their lives. Everyday pressures can leave you physically and emotionally ill and fatigued. Stress is a state of both mental or emotional strain caused by unfortunate circumstances in your life. Some factors that can create stress in your life may include death of a loved one, a divorce, fired from a job, increase in financial outputs, chronic illness or injury, and even good stress like getting married.

What Causes Stress? Situations and pressures that cause stress is called a stressor. Typically, when people think of stressors they think of it as something negative like rocky relationships, exhausting work schedules, etc. However, that is not always true, there can be good stress and bad stress. Anything that puts high demands on your body can be considered stressful.

Good stress also known as eustress is short term and can motivate you to do greater things. For example, if you have a championship game coming up eustress may result in you preforming better in the game, which is good.

Bad Stress can be short term or long term due to an uncontrollable outcome that has happened in your life like the death of a loved one. Bad stress is often accompanied from emotion or feelings that can leave you feeling helpless in a certain situation.

There are many ways to manage stress. Managing your stress is very important; if you don’t let go of any stress building up in your head you may experience major emotional, metal, and even maybe physical problems in your body like depression, suicidal thoughts, and being sore or tired all the time. Some ways to manage your stress may include getting fresh air, exercise, connecting to your spiritual side and religion.