NHSPress

What Makes a Good Student

Atavia Denmark, Contributor

What is a good student?  A good student is willing to put forth the effort to work hard and achieve their goals no matter what else is around them. Someone who has an interest and desire to learn.  

A Good Student Has Passion in What They Learn About 

In my opinion the first factor in becoming a good student is teaching them something they are interested in or something they want to learn about. Teach them something they will need for their future education or career goals. However, if a student is just forced to sit down and pay attention to something in classes that has no meaning to them, they probably aren’t going to pay any attention and just doze off or day dream. That’s where bad stuff starts to happen, so make it fun! 

Motivation  

A good student is one that should be motivated. Motivating someone can be as simple as saying “Hey you can do this!” If a child, a teen or anyone for that matter is motivated to do their work by another peer or anyone close, you’re pushing them to do better. Regardless of why someone may be motivated, it is important that they feel compelled to push themselves to such degree to do good.  

A Good Student Focuses  

One of the biggest obstacles students’ face are distractions. Everyone gets distracted over something or someone doing/saying ridiculous things. Your friends could also be a problem. Your friends distract you the most; maybe asking you what you’re doing this weekend, what you’re doing after school, or telling you something about what happened to them the other day. Distractions happen everywhere, but if you learn to block them out and focus on what you are doing at that moment it will help you get a good education.  

Communication 

Some kids are scared to speak up and ask for help when they need it the most. A good student is a good communicator; this could make up for a lot of weaknesses one has. Not only teachers can help you, but there are others around you that are more than willing to help you or get you the help that you need. Don’t ever be afraid to ask a dumb question because the dumbest questions could be the best questions.  

Responsibility 

A responsible student knows it’s his/her job to get to class on time, turn in the assignments they owe on time, study for any upcoming tests they have, and get help when needed. Responsibility plays a big role in becoming a good student. According to The McGraw-Hill textbook, “Responsibility is one of the six most critical traits of successful students.” Responsibility plays a key role in an everyday life, it’s probably a good trait to have through school, college, jobs, almost anything. 

With all that said, do you consider yourself a good student?  

About the Writer
Atavia Denmark, Contributor

I play volleyball and softball. I don’t like talking in front of the class and I like the color olive green (((((((((((((: