Gun Control in the United States  

Xander Sawyer, Contributor

Just recently on March 14, 2018, there was many Schools across the Nation that participated in a school walk out due to the shooting event at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. This walkout/protest was arranged by students who wanted more gun control, and to feel safe in schools after a tragic shooting that left seventeen students and staff members dead at the end of the infamous AR-15 wielded by 19-year-old Nickolas Cruz.  

Some people say that guns aren’t the issue and that it is people with mental illnesses that cause them to shoot up schools. That may be true, but how else would it be that easy for someone to shoot up a school if it weren’t so easy for people to acquire guns through background checks? 

There is no need for anyone to be able to own a semi-automatic weapon for home invasions or for sport. I’m not saying take all guns away from citizens. What I am trying to say is that we need to focus more on Red Flag Laws, better background checks on obtaining fire arms, and the banning of semi-automatic weapons to the public, which will lower gun violence rates by a landslide and still allow people to have their second amendment rights. 

In my own opinion, if you are a strong believer in the First Amendment and you accept that there are restraints to our rights to protect lives of innocent people, then you should also accept restraints to the Second Amendment for the same reason. 

Gun control is a real issue in the United States and we need to find a good way to restrain guns from crazy people, but still provide rights of the 2nd Amendment to citizens.