NHSPress

Is Prom Worth It?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Prom Worth It?

Taylor Edger, Contributor

With June coming around the corner, there is one thing on everyone’s mind: Prom. Everyone wants to know who is going with who; everyone wants to know what people are getting to wear. I think the biggest question that should be on everyone’s mind is ‘How much does Prom cost?’

According to Promgirl.com, prom can cost anywhere from $175 – $2,100. This cost is broken down into several categories: Prom tickets, Prom dinner, hair/make-up/nails/etc., Prom dress, flowers, formal photos, limo. Of course, not all the categories are required to have a good night at Prom, like limos and formal photography are more expensive and extravagant options – not for everyone.

Prom dresses are one of the largest costs for most girls. Here at Newfield, girls are spending an average of $210 on dresses alone, then another $50 on shoes. This is rather costly for most families, especially in our area. Then there is also the cost of the tickets themselves. For you and your date, it will cost $50 ($25 each) – and this is actually quite cheap for prom tickets. Some can cost over $50 a piece for relatively the same experience. Girls will also spend an additional $30 – $150 on things such and hair, make-up, and nails. All these costs, for pretty much the basic essentials for prom add up to over $300.

Of course, whether or not prom is worth this money truly depends on the person going. If you go to prom thinking it’ll be a crappy night, then no it’s not worth even the cheapest amount of money. But if you go looking to have a fun night with friends and maybe your date, then most will agree – Prom is worth every penny.