NHSPress

Social Sciences

Bradley Johnson, Contributor

Social Sciences, also known as a “useless degree,” but let’s take a step back for those who are not in this whole realm. Social Sciences in the simplest form is the study of society; how people behave and how that influences the world around us. Breaking it down more, you can find subjects such as Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology. There are many more aspects of Social Sciences, but those are your major contributors. Getting more into the more prominent part of social sciences, I want to dissect them, starting with Psychology. 

Psychology is the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. Everything that can be physically assessed is the behavioral study, which is comprised of actions, moods and even small things such as eye contact. Mental processing refers to everything that lies within the conscience: thoughts, emotions, motives, and anything else that is unobservable.  

Sociology is the study of human social relationships and culture. This study focuses on understanding the people in a whole while psychology is more of a study of the individual. The studies that lie within sociology are very diverse, ranging from crime to religion. Sociology opens a window of seeing and understanding how the social world that we all are forced to live in that shapes up into the people we are. 

Now, a question you may have. “Why are Social Sciences important?” Among many other reasons, knowledge and the ability of understanding the social sciences can lead to improving our societies. Aspects of the social sciences promote understanding how the mind and body work together. This knowledge can lead to a healthier, and more positively productive mind state when it comes to solving problems, whether that be with relationships or societies. In conclusion, Social Sciences will always benefit the people in a whole. Indirectly understanding each other can bypass a surplus of unnecessary problems and lead to a prosperous system. 

About the Writer
Bradley Johnson, Contributor

A few things I’m interested in are music, fashion and hygiene. I enjoy a wide variety of music and I try to present myself in a pleasant manner, whether it be by smelling good, or looking nice.