NHSPress

Texting and Driving: Siri Shocker

Elijah Jordan, Contributor

This past month at Newfield Senior High School, Jacy and Steve Good came and shared their story with the student and staff population. On May 18, 2008, Jacy and her parents were at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA attending Jacy’s graduation ceremony. On the way back home, a young teen on his cellphone ran a red light and caused a tractor trailer to swerve into the other lane, demolishing the car Jacy and her two parents were in.

This occurrence led Jacy to lose both of her parents and nearly killed Jacy as well. “I’m one of the estimated half a million injuries each year in this country caused by phone use behind the wheel,” Jacy said to a CNN reporter. Jacy had to undergo nine hours of surgery and was only given a ten percent chance of survival. With the aid of quality hospital care and the constant support from her brother and Steve, Jacy was able to slowly progress through physical therapy and rehabilitation. The accident caused Jacy to lose functionality over the left side of her body, only allowing her to move certain parts slowly. “In rehab I had to relearn how to feed and dress myself, how to read and speak. I was starting over. I gradually worked my way from kindergarten worksheets upward as my brain began to rewire and come back to me,” Jacy said to a CNN reporter. 

Ever since the accident that occurred on May 18, 2008, Jacy and her husband Steve have been dedicated to bringing awareness to the dangers of texting and driving as well as the dangers of distracted driving. Across the country, Jacy and Steve go to various high schools and share their heartbreaking story. Their story has touched the hearts of numerous people across the country and has opened many peoples’ eyes to just how dangerous texting and driving can be. Jacy has spoken to over 100,000 people in 29 different states about her story and the dangers of texting and driving.  

In all, Jacy Good is leading the charge against texting and driving as well as showing the dangers of distracted driving, and is helping to save numerous lives with her presentations. 

About the Writer
Elijah Jordan, Contributor

My name is Elijah Jordan; I'm a rant enthusiast, I'm very opinionated, and I take a lot of pride in my work. I love to cover arts and culture and love...