NHSPress

Casting Away

Back to Article
Back to Article

Casting Away

Hannah Watros, Contributor

The Giudice family has been in the spotlight of the government for many years due to the poor actions of their father Joe Giudice. In 2014 Teresa and Joe pleaded guilty to multiple federal fraud charges. Teresa, Real Housewives of New Jersey star, came out of prison in December of 2015 after serving a 15 month sentence. Joe went to jail in June of 2016 to start serving his 41 month sentence. He is scheduled to be released in 2019. Together Joe and Teresa share four daughters ranging from the age of 9-17 years old. For the past few years, these girls have had to grow up without one of their parents there for them whether it be their mother or their father. Now the family is facing yet another challenge that could potentially rip their father away from them permanently.

As a baby, Joe was brought to the United States. He has grown up and essentially lived in America as an American citizen. Joe claims that he only found out about being illegal a few years ago. Now the star is facing deportation following his release from prison in 2019. His family is taking to social media to express their concerns. His oldest daughter, Gia wrote on Instagram: “I need my father to be here. My father belongs with us and his entire family. My father came into this country when he was one years old, the United States is the only country he knows, spread the word. #bringjoehome.” This is affecting his family in a big way and it raises concerns to fans about the legitimacy of his deportation due to the fact that he was just a child. Joe himself said: “My parents are citizens. My brother and my sister are citizens – they were born here. I just never thought to file for citizenship.” Some are questioning the idea of it being his responsibility to file for citizenship when ideally it was not his choice to come here and he had no knowledge of it for most of his life.

About the Writer
Hannah Watros, Contributor

My family is most important to me. I'm passionate about animals and hope to one day work with them. My dog and my horse are basically my kids.