NHSPress

History of Motocross

Back to Article
Back to Article

History of Motocross

Rayin Rumsey, Contributor

Back in 1972, a new sport came to the United States that was like no other. Edyson Die ran a motorcycle touring business back in Europe. This opened his eyes to new ideas and new things. Over the years Tom White, a professional motocross racer in Europe came to the U.S. and raced against the Americans at the first ever motocross track in the U.S. Edyson left the sport in 1974 because of his hasty decision to cancel a “rain or shine” race; he was forced out. Racing started out with 500 and 250cc engine classes, and then a couple years later they added the new 125cc class.  

In the 1980s Broc Glover, who started his career in 1977, had won three times in a row in the 125cc classes and also along with that won three of the 500cc motocross championships. As the 1990s came along they added a woman’s class to compete in. The first year in 1996 was won by Shelly Kann. In 1997 Ricky Carmichael started on his 10 in a row, motocross championships which was left to beat.  

In 2006 the 250cc class became the new MC class and the 125s became the new MX lite’s class. As White said, “The biggest changes to Motocross over the years is the bikes.” As the 4-stroke bikes began to evolve the disc brakes came into play along with the more evolved suspension. The suspension component is probably the greatest advancing these riders to be able to overcome bigger and more exciting obstacles. As White said, “Motocross tracks have evolved from a true natural terrain track to more of a man-made with added whoops, jumps and cornering.” 

Edyson passed away in 2007 and his achievement of the motocross is now recognized along with Whites achievements. Now motocross is one of the biggest sports in America and one of the most intense. 

About the Writer
Rayin Rumsey, Contributor

My name is Rayin and I like to work on engines. I like to race dirt bikes and work on them. I also like to go fishing or over to my friend Terry's house...