NHSPress

Beauty Killer

Elijah Jordan, Contributor

Jeffree Star has been at the forefront of social media for years now whether good or bad. Like many other social influencers, Jeffree has had numerous scandals and has been shrouded in a cloak of controversy.  

Jeffree’s first claim to fame was in the early 2000s when Myspace was at its peak popularity. Originally, Jeffree had put out music with outrageous and edgy music videos to go along with making him somewhat of an icon. He was constantly being compared to artists like Ke$ha and Lady Gaga; being labelled as the “next big popstar,” which really launched his social standing. It wasn’t until late 2009, early 2010 that Jeffree’s scandals started to appear. Numerous videos had surfaced of him slandering pedestrians with profanities and threatening them with knives as well as tasers. Ever since then, the general public has been incessant with labelling Jeffree as racist despite his many apologies. 

On June 20, 2017 Jeffree uploaded a fifteen minute long video to YouTube titled “Racism” in which he made his final apology towards everything that had been unearthed from his past. In this video Jeffree addresses in detail his past, saying, “In these videos I say some disgusting, nasty, vile things,” and “I don’t know who that person was. The person that said those horrible, vile things; that person was depressed, that person was just angry at the world, that person felt that they were not accepted, that person was seeking attention.”  

Since the original video was filmed, Jeffree has spoken out about numerous topics from racism to LGBTQ rights. He has been voracious in rebranding himself and transforming his outlook on life as well as building a self-named beauty empire. Jeffree has had major success in the beauty industry putting out numerous palettes of eyeshadows and lipsticks that are inclusive to all skin tones which has separated him from his competition. 

In all, Jeffree had a dark and troubled past and has done many things that were and still are looked down upon by society, but by learning from his past mistakes Jeffree was able to turn his life around and work towards making everyone no matter their skin color, ethnicity, sexuality or gender, feel included. 

About the Writer
Elijah Jordan, Contributor

My name is Elijah Jordan; I'm a rant enthusiast, I'm very opinionated, and I take a lot of pride in my work. I love to cover arts and culture and love...