NHSPress

Horse Therapy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Horse Therapy

Hannah Watros, Contributor

Some people say that dogs are a man’s best friend, but to equestrians, horses fill that title. Horses are truly the wonder animal. They can be anything you want them to be and can help in so many different ways most people never think of. For some, horses are their best friend. Others use their horses as a therapist and some just use them to have fun. In recent years, people are becoming more and more aware of how powerful horses are not just physically but also emotionally.

Equine- assisted therapy is becoming more and more prevalent in today’s society. People are using horses and horseback riding as a means of overcoming pain, PTSD and even to help those who suffer from autism. Many different programs offer different options when it comes to horses. Some include riding while other just include being around the horses and learning from them.

CNN did a story on a Equine related therapy and mentioned a young girl named Belle Swersey. Belle was in remission from a rare type of muscle cancer. She was given oxycodone to try and help cope with the pain from chemo and radiation, but after horseback riding she was able to cut back her dosage due to a decrease in pain. Although Belle may not of noticed that change, her father definitely did. Belle said: “Horseback riding helps me forget about my cancer. It’s fun.” Riding helped this cancer survivor find the joy in life again.

Horses don’t just help with physical pain. The most notable affect horses have on the people around them is emotional. Even though you can’t speak with a horse verbally, you can speak to each other on other levels. Everyday Health did a story on a man named, David Vernaza. He was injured in 2004 in Iraq when a IED hit him. It resulted in a major head injury and PTSD, which affects 1 in 3 troops. David said, “I was reclusive, withdrawn, emotionless- combative.” Someone mentioned horse related therapy to him so he decided to try it. After his first time, David said: “The first session alone was mind clearing. The black cloud just disappeared.” The connection you have with a horse and the moments you spend with them seem to make the rest of the world a little less scary.

With the help of horses so many more people could get the help they need. Equine therapy can help in so many different ways and not a lot of people know about it. Horses are inspiring.

About the Writer
Hannah Watros, Contributor

My family is most important to me. I'm passionate about animals and hope to one day work with them. My dog and my horse are basically my kids.