NHSPress

Unhealthy Relationship

Elijah Jordan, Contributor

Many people today, especially teens in high school, show the signs of having an unhealthy relationship; whether it’s physically unhealthy, mentally unhealthy, or emotionally unhealthy. While it may be subliminal, many of these people don’t recognize the signs of an unhealthy relationship which can subconsciously have a long-term effect on them. 

One of the signs of an unhealthy relationship is the level of intensity; “Having really extreme feelings or over-the-top behaviors that feel like too much. Examples are rushing the pace of a relationship, always wanting to see you and talk to you, and feeling like someone is obsessed with you.” While this may not be a major issue to some people, this little thing could lead to numerous other issues bringing along their own trauma. 

Another sign of an unhealthy relationship is an unbalanced distribution of control among the couple. “Keeping you away from friends, family, or other people. Examples can be when your partner makes you choose between them and your friends, insisting you spend all your time with them, making you question your own judgement of friends and family, and making you feel dependent on them for money, love or acceptance.” This is one of the most common issues among high school relationships and can be the hardest sign to point out. Many things can affect whether or not this issue can be discovered quickly and mediated in the appropriate way. Things including drama with peers, rumors, friendships, and loyalties. 

A final sign of an unhealthy relationship is jealousy. If not caught soon enough, this can cause many issues mentally, emotionally, and even physically. “An emotion that everyone experiences, jealousy becomes unhealthy when someone lashes out or tries to control you because of it. Examples can be getting upset when you text or hang out with people your partner feels threatened by, accusing you of flirting or cheating, being possessive over you or even going so far as to stalk you.” At this point in an unhealthy relationship, many of the victims are unaware of how or even too scared to try and leave the relationship.  

While there are numerous outreach programs available for support, it is our job as friends, family, and peers to provide the helping hand to someone in an unhealthy relationship, even if it’s only by providing a phone number or web address, every little thing counts.  

About the Writer
Elijah Jordan, Contributor

My name is Elijah Jordan; I'm a rant enthusiast, I'm very opinionated, and I take a lot of pride in my work. I love to cover arts and culture and love...