NHSPress

Depression in 2018

Amari Stewart, Contributor

Depression is a well-known illness throughout the whole world. Depression is a mental health disorder characterized by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life. Many people of all different ages, gender, beliefs suffer from depression.     

There are also many different types of depression. Major depressive disorder, persistent depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, seasonal defective disorder, psychotic depression, situational depression, as well as atypical depression are a few of the types of depression people suffer from. The side affects from suffering from any type of depression can be very life threatening. Loss of interest or pleasure in your activities, weight loss or gain, trouble getting to sleep or feeling sleepy during the day, feelings restless and agitated, or else very sluggish and slowed down physically or mentally, being tired and without energy, feeling worthless or guilty, trouble concentrating or making decisions, and thoughts of suicide. 

Depression can be a very hard thing to go through and many people have their own ways of coping. All depression is trigged by many different things; it varies differently throughout ever person whom suffers from depression. Some triggers can be caused by stressful life events, grief and loss, physical health problems, and sometimes can be inflicted by drug usage. Treatment for depression comes in many different varieties. Inpatient programs, outpatient programs, therapy, and medications can help. If you or know someone who suffers from depression or suicidal thoughts be sure to reach out and talk to a trusted adult.  

About the Writer
Amari Stewart, Contributor

I am 17 years old; my birthday is January 9th. I was born in Ithaca, NY but have lived in three different states. I love softball and my life long goal...