NHSPress

Domestic Violence

Kylee Reed, Contributor

Domestic Violence is violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner.  It often co-occurs with other forms of abuse, including psychological abuse, economic abuse, and stalking. Physical abuse is a tool of control and oppression and is a choice made by one person in a relationship to control another. Domestic Violence effects more than 10 million people per year.

With domestic violence comes rape, stalking, homicide, economic impact, and physical/ mental impact. “The most common age when intimate partner violence is first experienced by women is age 18-24 (38.6%), followed by age 11-17 (22.4%), age 35-44 (6.8%) and age 45+ (2.5%). For men the most common age is age 18-24 (47.1%), followed by age 25-34 (30.6%), age 11-17 (15.0%), age 35-44 (10.3%) and age 45+ (5.5%)” (National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, 2010 Summary Report. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Violence Prevention, Atlanta, GA, and Control of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). “85% of domestic violence victims are women” (Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2001, February 2003). 

Domestic Violence is a very serious topic. Most people don’t realize how serious it is because they don’t deal with it first hand; little do they know it is happening everywhere. The United States needs to open their eyes to what is going on around them. If you deal with Domestic Violence in your home, or know of people dealing with this in their home, get help. There is help out there when you need it!

About the Writer
Kylee Reed, Contributor

I am 17 years old; born on August 26th, 2001. I was born in Ithaca, New York. I have lived in Newfield and gone to Newfield Central School my entire life.