Record Breaker Kaitlyn Bickham

Elijah Jordan, Contributor

Kaitlyn Bickham is a senior at Newfield Senior High School that recently broke the record for most goals scored. Kaitlyn has been playing soccer since she was three years old and has grown up loving the sport. Throughout her soccer career, Kaitlyn has met numerous people that have impacted her life both on the field and in school and have overall increased her love of the sport. Although she’s graduating this year, she will always leave a legacy behind. 

Question: 

Why did you choose soccer? 

Answer: 

I think I like soccer so much because I got into it at the age of three and I chose it, nobody pushed it on me, I chose it. So the fact that I was able to do something from such a young age and learn so much from it really means a lot to me and really impacts my life. 

Question: 

How have the coaches you’ve had impacted your life both on the field and in school? 

Answer: 

They have impacted me because they’ve taught me a lot of lessons through both school and soccer. My coach Chris Thomas, he’s offered multiple times when I was struggling in a subject in school, he offered to help me, he offered to tutor me, especially in math – I’m not good at math. But overall, they’ve all just pushed me to do my best and helped me to get there. 

Question: 

Do you feel that you would be the same person had you not started soccer from such a young age? 

Answer: 

No. I don’t think so because I’ve learned a lot of lessons from soccer; it’s taught me a lot of things and I still think that I am still learning things as I continue to play. 

Question: 

What do you think has been your most defining moment throughout your soccer career? 

Answer: 

There’s honestly too many to choose from. I’ve had a lot of defining moments and I feel like all deserve recognition. 

Question:  

So, tell me about the school record you recently broke. 

Answer: 

The record I broke was a big achievement for me and I wouldn’t have been able to do it had I not had the team that I did. I now hold the school record for most goals scored. It was a big accomplishment for me and honestly I had no idea that I was even close to breaking this record.  It was a lot to take in that I now hold the record.